Beautiful, car-free village with snowsure slopes on top of the world.
Saas-Fee is one of our favorite places. It oozes Swiss charm and the setting is stunning – spectacular glaciers and 4000m peaks surround the place. And good snow is guaranteed, even late in the season: the altitude you spend most of our time at – between 2500m/8200ft and 3500m/11500ft – is unrivaled in the Alps.
But we tend to drop in for a couple of days at a time, so the limited extent of the slopes never becomes a problem; for a week’s holiday, it would. Top to bottom there is an impressive 1800m/5900ft vertical – but there aren’t many alternative ways down. Keen, mileage-hungry intermediates should look elsewhere, as should experts (except those prepared to go touring). For the rest, it’s a question of priorities and expectations.
- Spectacular setting amid high peaks and glaciers
- Traditional, ‘traffic-free’ village
- Good percentage of high-altitude, snow sure slopes
- Powerful lift access to highest slopes for year-round skiing
- Good off slope facilities are banned
- Disappointingly small area of slopes, with mainly easy runs
- Glacier stifles off-slope potential
- Much of the area is in shadow in midwinter – cold and dark
- Bad weather can shut the slopes
- Long village can mean quite a bit of walking to and from the slopes