When conditions are right – clear skies above fresh, deep snow – Crans-Montana takes some beating.
The mountains you gaze at – Zermatt’s Matterhorn just discernible among them – are mind-blowing.
The mountains you bounce down with the midday sun full on your face are charmingly scenic, the slopes, broken up by rock outcrops and forest.
When conditions are right, mountain-lovers may forgive Crans-Montana anything – in particular, its inconvenient, linear layout and the plain, towny style of its twin resort centers.
Sadly, conditions are more often wrong than right. Except in the depths of winter, the strong midday sun quickly bakes the slopes. For someone booking six months ahead, this is enough to keep Crans-Montana off the shortlist. For those who can time a visit according to the weather – and are more interested in impressive distant views than cozy immediate surroundings – the resort is worth serious consideration.
- Large slope area suitable for all, except if you prefer black runs
- Splendid wooded setting with magnificent panoramic views
- Fair number of woodland slopes – good for bad weather
- Modern, well-designed lift system, with few liftlines
- Golf course provides excellent, gentle beginner slopes
- Very sunny slopes (but see right)
- Excellent cross-country trails
Elevation: 4921 ft – 9843 ft
Capacity: 29,500 Persons/Hr.
T-Bar Lifts: 9
Chair Lifts: 7
Aerial Cableways: 1
Magic Carpets: 3
Overall Slope Length: 87 miles
Easy: 34.2 miles
Moderate: 43.5 miles
Advanced: 9.3 miles
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE THE FULL SKI MAP
Skiing is our passion!
Our Ski Travel Experts will build your ultimate experience in the snow.